Sunday, February 8, 2009

Tears, Toys, and Rope Trains

Today I helped out in the Nursey at church for the second time. I am still amazed that one room can contain so many one-year-olds. I counted today: there were 26 toddlers and nine helpers. On one hand, today went very well. The little boy last week who cried for a good 10 minutes before I finally got him interested in the slide, only cried for about 30 seconds this week and played happily the rest of the morning. That is, until he fell off a toy and bumped his head...right before his mom walked in to get him. *sigh* I tried to convince her that he had a great time, but I'm not too sure she believed me.

On the other hand, today's service was long and the kids knew it! I have never had so many toddlers ask me to pick them up before. For the most part, they were good and played nicely, but as soon as one set of parents showed up to collect their child they ALL wanted to leave! Other than a few who were still playing (the ones that I cleverly used as excuses to avoid the screaming masses), the entire class was crying and begging to be let out. As soon as one was distracted, another would start crying!

My favorite moment of the morning was when some of the leaders took six of the little ones for a "walk." They had a rope chain and had the kids hold onto it, then led them out into the hallway. I don't know what they expected to happen, but about ten minutes later all of them were in the class again and I overheard the one leader saying, "As soon as we got out the door they all let go of the rope and scattered in every direction!" My thoughts exactly. Oh well, live and learn! With toddlers, Sunday is always an adventure!

No comments: