Although I definitely have an introverted/insecure/average side, I generally find that I can communicate without too much difficulty. However, a recent trip overseas showed me how difficult communication can be when you don't speak the same language. I don't think I've ever said, "Can you say that again?" so much in my life! It didn't take me long to learn that words are completely useless if the other person does not speak my language.
Pictures, on the other hand, are universal. When you show someone a picture of a mountain (generally speaking), they know it is a mountain, whether they call it that or not. That's why we invented stick figures and road sign symbols - so that everyone can understand them! At least... that's what I thought. After spending two weeks overseas, I learned that even pictures can sometimes be a mystery!
Example #1
Maybe he's waving... this is a Friendly People Zone!
No... He's break dancing! or Disco! It's a Disco Dance Room!
Well, in context (the bathroom) it quickly became clear that this man is falling. It's a sign to warn you to be careful not to slip. Ok, that made sense, especially when we saw that the shower and bathroom were actually the same. (The shower head was on the wall next to the toilet) Under these circumstances your floor could get pretty slick. Plus, you might add, the picture is simply there to help. The words are there for a reason, I just couldn't understand them. So, ok. Maybe I was the only problem with this picture.
Example #2
Clearly, it means ATTENTION! But why, I have no idea.
The context is this: a wall. a large wall with other walls nearby, in a park.
For some reason, it is necessary to pay attention to this wall.
Yet however long I looked I could not figure out why this wall was so important over the others.
Maybe it's structurally unstable, or maybe it's to help plows navigate in the winter.
Surely there is an explanation for this!
Maybe this is just a problem with interpretation...maybe I'm just not observant enough and I missed an obvious reason for this sign.
What is the meaning of this sign?!?!
After much deliberation and consultation with friends and family, these were the conclusions we came to:
No blowing up cars,
No making smores on the roof of your car,
No shooting flame throwers out your sunroof,
No firecrackers on the roof of your car,
OR
Blasting Zone: Wear a helmet
Clearly, sometimes words are just necessary!
P.S. This one isn't confusing, just amusing!
This was on the window of our tour bus:
1 comment:
I already saw these pictures on Facebook, but this still amused me. Though I think the car/smore sign is pretty obvious.
Post a Comment