Friday, April 3, 2009

Close browser. Make face time.

Have you seen those new Dentyne Ice adds? I've decided I really, really like them. Here's why:

I like Facebook. In fact, I'm a big fan. I love sharing pictures with people and keeping in touch with my friends' daily lives, even when I don't have time or the opportunity to chat with them on the phone. In fact, I recently gave a speech on the positive effects Facebook can have on friendships (if used correctly, of course). HOWEVER, I have a pet peeve when it comes to Facebook. A major pet peeve. It's not just with Facebook either. It applies to text messaging also.

I find it quite annoying when people use Facebook/texting as a substitute for actual conversations when I see them frequently!

It's one thing if a friend from another state wants to chat using Facebook/texting because, well, sometimes talking on the phone is just more difficult. I mean first you call the person, leave a message, they call you back, you call them back, you finally get in touch and then the signal's bad and you can barely here them, etc, etc. However, if you live less than a block from someone, or in the same building, just have face-to-face conversations!! For me, Facebook/texting has always been for short, necessary messages or occasional conversations with friends or relatives who I don't see often. But when a friend who I see daily, or at least a couple times a week, constantly uses Facebook/texting for self-disclosure, I find it very awkward and think it makes face-to-face interaction more uncomfortable.

Because of Facebook/texting people feel more free to share things they wouldn't otherwise share because they would not be comfortable sharing in person. I have come to realize that if you don't feel comfortable saying something face-to-face, you probably shouldn't say it through Facebook/texting either. Chances are, if you feel awkward about saying it, the other person will feel awkward hearing it because you do not know each other well enough yet.

Unfortunately, as I've realized this fault in other people, I am painfully aware that I do the same thing. So, in spite of my support of Facebook, I'm simply going to have to buck up and make face-to-face contact. But hey, that's how true friendships are made anyway! So, as Dentyne Ice says,
"Close Browser. Make Face Time."

5 comments:

Cyndee said...

Thanks for the e-mail. I hadn't checked your blog in a loooong time, 'cause you hadn't updated. But it's in my favorites now! :-) Looking forward to some of that "face time" in SIX DAYS!!! YAY!! :-)

grandpa said...

I think White Hawk is just up the road. So based on your pet peve (?) just come on up and let's talk face to face. Love you!

Monnayeur said...

I KNOW I"M SO EXCITED!!!!!! And Mom, I'm glad to be in your favorites, I feel so special.

Grandpa, I think you missed my comment about the friend being in another state... BUT if you consider us right around the corner from each other, I'd LOVE to have you visit me!!! :D
I really want to visit you again this year, it's just tough because of Easter and finals and homework.

Cyndee said...

Been meaning to tell you. Love the photos on your blog. That one of you and Keith's feet is on my all time favorite list. Where did you get the picture for the top?

Monnayeur said...

S.J. took it in China. At the one street that was set up like a traditional Chinese Street. I loved it so I stole it from her on Facebook :)