Saturday, April 25, 2009

$0.37 for a Cure!

Recently I've developed a condition that my friend and I have decided to call "Chronic Blinking Disorder" or "blinking" for short. I'm not quite sure what causes it, but from conversations with others I've realized that it's a pretty common illness. Blinking usually occurs early in the morning, but can sometimes occur during mid-day naps. What is blinking? Well, let me give you an example of blinking, that will be easier than trying to explain it.
Picture this:
Before going to bed at night, you set your alarm for the time you wish to get up, let's say 7am for this example. If you're like me, that means setting three alarms: one at 7:oo, one at 7:02, and one at 7:04 ... just to make sure. In the morning, 7:00 rolls around and your alarm selfishly drags you out of dreamland. You hit the snooze button for another two minutes. You settle back onto your pillow and consider that your bed is the most comfortable place in the world. Then it's 7:02 and once again you hit the snooze for another two minutes. This usually results in some crazy but enjoyable dream about putting shaving cream in your hair, or shouting at the top of your lungs that no one has any idea how hard it is to be a closet. Finally, it's 7:04 and the alarm sounds. You hit the 'off ' button, let out a deep sigh and think, "ugh. ok. time to get up!" Then you blink and it's suddenly 10:30.
This has happened to me that past three days in a row. It also happened last Sunday. I've dealt with CBD before, but this is getting ridiculous! I don't even understand how it's possible to sleep this much! Fortunately, besides missing a class there haven't been any serious consequences, but it's still rather annoying! If anyone has a cure for this despicable disease, I would be willing to pay anyth...I mean, twenty dolla...uh, that is, maybe a buc...well, I have some change in my pocket...

4 comments:

Cyndee said...

Go to bed earlier! :-)

Shannon said...

I second mom! I would also suggest setting 1 alarm for when you are actually going to get up. That way your body knows when the alarm goes off it's time to get up (not it might be time to get up). I also suggest this for the sanity of anyone else who happens to be sleeping in your room and has to listen to the 37 alarms that you and Kendra have going:)

Monnayeur said...

haha, well the annoying thing is that I HAVE been getting sleep this week! I guess it could be left over from last week, but that seems a little ridiculous. I'm sorry if our alarms annoyed you when you stayed! But I don't think I could get up with just one! You know how grumpy I am in the morning...that's AFTER I've had ten minutes to prepare for the actual waking up. If I got up with the first alarm, I'd probably kill someone!

Anonymous said...

I'd say that it helps to put the alarm clock across the room so you have to get up, but it doesn't really. By the end of college, I could jump out of the top bunk, walk across the room, turn off the clock, realize I had to pee, walk down the hallway to the bathroom, come back, leap back into my bunk and fall right back asleep.

A guy on my hall tried to wire his alarm clock so that it would shock his toes when it went off. Maybe that would help.