From my good friend Kelley, who practically had to tell me before I figured it out.

A dead man is lying in a cornfield
with a straw in his hand.
How did he die?
WINNER!!!
Correct answer: The man jumped from a plane without a parachute because there weren't enough for everyone. Why him? He drew the short straw :)
30 comments:
Tornado blew him there?
Without a clue,
Aunt Linda :-)
no, it wasn't a tornado...
he was playing spit ball but with the corn kernels and he choked on one...lol I really don't know I just imagined that and laughed
haha, nice guess :) but no, he didn't choke to death
HIS HEART STOPPED BEATING!!!!!
NO, WAIT! HE ISN'T DEAD! HE IS "LYING" NOT LAYING!!
sorry! good guess Mom, but he IS actually dead... and his heart did stop beating (thus the dead part)but not from natural causes.
he was in a suicide pact and he drew the short straw...????
Well, you got half of it right!
He was a human sacrifice to the gods of the field because he drew the short straw, much like the short story The Lottery.
He decided to commit suicide because he was deathly allergic to the straw he had accidentally picked up, and rather than die a slow death, he strangled himself with corn husks.
He was running from the farmer who caught him stealing corn. He was a homeless man whose sole possession was a glass straw from Japan handed down in his family for generations. While running, he tripped, put his hands out to stop himself, and the glass straw pierced his heart.
The man WAS the farmer and had a piece of straw in his mouth as he inspected his cornfield. He took the straw out of his mouth to adjust it and was struck by lightening.
I feel like this riddle is incomplete due to its infinite number of possible answers. Kind of like asking "How many were going to St. Ives?" without saying the first part.
caryzam
I like Joel's commment, I think he should get major points for creativity. here is my new theory...tehe, he drew the short straw and had to go in the scary field. The farmer had been duping nuclear waste in the field so the corn mutated and became super evil corn. The corn attacked him and dead.
I have a good feeling about this one
While those are all good guesses none of them are correct, although you've got the idea with drawing the short straw :) You can rule out all the clues having to do with corn and farmers though, the dead man could have been anywhere and would have died the same way.
Also, this riddle and the next one are "mystery" riddles...the person answering has to ask questions to determine the correct answer from a multitude of possibilities.
Sorry, I guess I should have explained that earlier.
So the riddle is actually, "A man died with a straw. How did he die?"?
Seems like it's more "20 Questions" than a riddle.
Was there an official group involved? (ie not just a random gathering)
Was a gathering involved?
Did anyone else die with the man?
Has anyone in real life actually died this way that you know of?
Was the man in the United States?
Was someone else responsible for the man's death (ie murder or (in)voluntary manslaughter)?
Were there any foreign substances, legal or illegal, involved?
Were there any animals involved?
Did the man die in a way that would result in a lot of blood?
Is the man's age relevant?
You said that the man died from unnatural causes. Are we assuming that old age is the only true "natural" cause, thus leaving cardiac arrest, aneurysms, or blood clots as viable options?
There's 11 of my twenty.
nessear
you don't bury the survivors
Brown, because I was driving the bus.
beringle
Its obvious you people are not from Philly. It was a mafia hit, happens all the time around here.
OR it could have been the coke he was snorting!
did he have any broken bones?
Yes Kendra! He DID have broken bones! Lots of them...
Joel: no it was not an official group, a gathering was involved, no one else died (kind of because he did), I'm sure people have died from the same thing but not this specific situation that I know of, the man could be in the U.S. but it's not an important detail, he was not murdered, there were no illegal substances or animals involved, there probably was a lot of blood, the man's age is not important, and natural causes includes all the things you mentioned and the like.
>hint: questions that pertain to the actual type of death usually work best for this type of riddle (i.e was it suffocation, did he have cuts, was he bleeding, did he have broken bones, etc. those usually help the most)
P.S. I didn't come up with the original phrasing for the riddle so you might be able to rephrase it better, but the cornfield does tell you something important, it just isn't specific to his death. For example, he is not in a mall, a house or a store...that makes a difference.
I'm guess he had to jump then, maybe off a plane, but I don't know why. unless there is a mountain in the field. maybe there weren't enough parachutes and he drew the short straw so he had to jump without one.
A) I don't like riddles unless I already know the answer and can look smart in front of other people.
B) Joel's answers and questions are all hilarious so I think he wins on points.
and C) Why is there a random word after each of Joel's comments?
oh and D) I'm in total agreement with Shannon's guess. I think she's right on.
I googled it and DQed myself. The one I found was a little bit different with a few more/different details, but I imagine it's the same.
I don't think I would've gotten it. Sorry.
locto
The doctor was the boys mother.
He fell out of a plane.
The way that I read it online, was that a man was found in a field with a half of a match clutched in his hand.
The answer is he jumped from a hot air balloon because he drew the short match (why matches? to light to torch, of course). Some of them also included some other random clues, like a camera round his neck, or other random objects you might find in a hot air balloon surrounding near him (like rope, maybe some food, propane tank). Some of those clues might just give it away though.
This one was pretty hard.
PS I agree with everything Tara said.
lopyous
I really got it? sweet I pulled that one out of...well it was lucky.
oh by the way awesome picture (rolls eyes)
haha, yeah...you might want to reconsider your efforts. I think of all the people i have pictures of yours are the most interesting :)
Post a Comment